Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Old Shelf Has New Life

Before I started teaching I came upon this AWESOME deal on this shelf at a yard sale. It was $5. Holy Cow I snatched it up and took it home.

I lived with it like that for 2 years... and I grew bored with it.

So I decided to paint it teal. (Teal Zeal, to be exact.)



But that wasn't enough.

So, I added quotes to each side. I LOVE it! I can't wait to take it back to my room.


Before you think I am crazy for putting quotes on a shelf that will be filled with books, let me explain how this shelf is used.
I go to the library (public and school) and check out Non-Fiction books on the topics we are currently covering in Science and Social Studies (and I'll admit that if I see a super cute fiction book I know they'd love, I'll get that, too.) and the books stay on this shelf when they are not being read.
My kids have book baskets where they store the books they are reading. However, because these books are checked out to me I do not allow them to store them in the book baskets. They keep them on this shelf. If they aren't finished they just put a sticky note with their name on it and the other kids know that that child has "first dibs" on the book the next time we read. 
So, when we don't have books on the shelf we will have super cute quotes! I am so excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment