Friday, August 6, 2010

More Pictures of the Classroom

It's almost finished!!
leaves over the cabinets... still missing 2.

Posters over the cubbies and I put a cute little boarder on the top of the cubbies... it's amazing what a little hot glue can do!

Back corner of the classroom... computer area and reading nook. Almost done!

Hanging decorations above my desk area and new banner that says "What's the Buzz?" over the curriculum board. 

Closer view of my desk.

Behavior chart and consequences clearly stated.

Celebrations board. We use Dr. Jean's celebrations. 

I have spent the day working on work station activities. I have made about 10 more activities. I am really excited about the way they are turning out. I think so far I have about twenty activities. Seems like a lot... but they won't last me for too long because the kids can really only do the same activity once or maybe twice depending on the activity. I bought a hanging file box and am storing all of my work station stuff in it. A lot of my work stations are file folder activities, so it works well for that purpose. I also bought a laminator machine at Walmart last night. It was only $25. I have used it to make game boards and things like that. I'm pretty excited and it works really well!
I have so much to do between now and the day school starts. I have been working on activities to do the first few days. I'm worried about feeling stressed out when school starts so I am trying to get a ton of things planned so I don't run out of activities. Of course, I plan to spend a great deal of time on procedures the first week because I have been told and have read that if you spend time on that the first couple of weeks you don't have to constantly spend time on it later in that year. Then, since you have taught the procedures and the kids know them you can say, "And what is the procedure for that?" and they should be able to tell you. We shall see!
I am very excited about school starting. The kids come back on the 16th. I can't wait to meet them and get this year started. I am a littler nervous, but I think the more I plan and prepare the less nervous I will be. Wish me luck!!

6 comments:

  1. hey the class is looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the classroom looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I just went back and read the beginning of the blog and I feel so much better! I just graduated with my M.Ed and there have been less than 10 new jobs for my district (my home) this yr! I did get an interim for a semester and I am excited to get my feet in the door! I was wondering what places you were looking at for your ideas and what websites you found were useful? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your classroom looks great...and you're absolutely right about procedures! I am a 1st grade teacher and I spend a lot of time on procedures at the beginning of school. Have you read the Daily 5? The authors are "the sisters" Joan Moser and Gail Boushey...I am reading it at the moment...it is amazing! It tells you how to structure your literacy block so that you can meet with small groups or do one-on-one conferences with students everyday without worrying about what the other children in class are doing...definitely a must read!

    -Gladys
    www.teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. A laminator for $25?! That's awesome! Your room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room looks really clean, organized, and super cute! What brand of laminator did you buy? I've been thinking of buying my own, and if it works great I'll give it a try! And what are Dr. Jean's celebrations? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete